In 1927 William Thompson began trading as a tea merchant in Bethnal Green.
When William passed away, his son, Bill a commodity broker, returned to the family Tea business but he stopped using ‘lead-lined’ tea chests that had been used by his father.
Industry was steadily being rebuilt after the results of World War II.
Bill decided to recycle the emerging carton board box by turning it inside out to reuse them by disguising the existing artwork.
Bill was an early advocate for sustainable corrugated packaging.
Bill’s vision in packaging gave him the insight to set up a corrugated box manufacturing plant.
It later moved in 1971 to Pulham St. Mary, Norfolk.
Bill went on to set up Norwich Corrugated Board in Fishergate. This has become one of Great Britain’s largest sheet board manufacturers.
The business thrived in Norfolk. It was so successful, that two of Bill’s sons, Nick and Martin, decided that Norwich and East Anglia needed a case conversion factory.
In 1984 Thompson Packaging Brothers was formed.
The factory began operating from its premises on Hurricane Way, Norwich. The company quickly grew and began supplying many household names.
Thompson Packaging as the company is known today continues to grow and serves a diverse range of customers over a broad range of industries throughout the UK.
Thompson Packaging continues to grow as a competitively priced, independent manufacturer producing quality products with exceptional customer care. In addition, more companies are choosing responsible and renewable alternatives to plastics in an effort to become more ecologically minded.
Continued Investment in machinery increases quality, speed and efficiency
2018 saw the completion of a 1,000 square meter extension which is now home to our new automatic die cutting machine – this has increased our capacity by 1000%.
This summer sees the arrival of our new case maker; this will increase our case making capacity, improve quality and efficiency and help maintain competitive pricing.